What you will learn
Upon completion of this diploma graduates will be able to:
- Communicate effectively and respectfully as business professionals
- Apply business principles, theories, skills and best practices
- Record financial transactions for sole proprietorships, partnerships, private enterprises, publicly accountable enterprises and non-profit organizations
- Prepare and present financial statements, and reports for sole proprietorships, partnerships and private enterprises
- Apply fundamental management accounting and financial management concepts to assist with the decision-making in an organization
- Use accounting software to perform accounting, payroll and tax remittance functions in a computerized format
- Prepare individual income tax returns and provide basic tax planning advice in compliance with the Canadian Income Tax Act
- Apply critical thinking and problem solving techniques to make sound management decisions and recommendations
- Apply principles of corporate social responsibility, sustainability and ethics in their work as business professionals
What to expect
The courses will be presented using a variety of instructional strategies, resources and activities including lectures, case studies, discussions, presentations, and individual and group work. Courses have been designed with learner centred approaches that promotes collaboration and student engagement.
Accounting classes will be actively supported by computerized accounting lab activities using the latest industry standard software.
- Grade 12 graduation or equivalent
- Knowledge of English demonstrated by one of the following:
- English 12 with a minimum ‘C+’ grade or equivalent, or
- English Language Proficiency at an English 12 ‘C+’ level
- Knowledge of mathematics demonstrated by one of the following:
- Math 11 Foundations with a ‘C+’ grade or equivalent, or
- Pre Calculus 11 with a C+ grade or equivalent, or
- VCC Math 0861 and 0871 with a C+ grade or
- VCC Math Assessment with the following scores: Basic Math with a minimum 80% and Algebra with a minimum 60%
- Seats are offered to applicants who have met all admission requirements, on a first-qualified, first-served basis.
- International applicants must be 17 years of age or older or a graduate of a secondary school. (Some exceptions may apply.)
- Applicants must submit official transcripts and educational documents as required by their course or program.
- All VCC applicants are required to function successfully in an English-speaking classroom. English requirements vary by program. For details, visit VCC International - English Requirements.
- Detail-oriented and meticulous
- Well-developed analytical and critical thinking skills
- An interest in the field of business and commerce
- Good basic computer literacy
- A strong sense of ethics, integrity and accountability
- Excellent organizational skills
- Ability to work well with others in a diverse team environment
|MGMT 1001||Business Mathematics||3|
|MGMT 1004||Communications in the Canadian Workplace||3|
|MGMT 1021||Computer Applications for Management||3|
|MGMT 1006||Fundamentals of Marketing||3|
|ACCT 1035||Financial Accounting 1||3|
|MGMT 1002||The Canadian Economy||3|
|MGMT 1011||Information Technology Management||3|
|MGMT 1003||Principles of Management||3|
|ACCT 1045||Financial Accounting 2||3|
|MGMT 2014||Financial Management||3|
|MGMT 1005||Organizational Behaviour||3|
|MATH 1111||Introduction to Statistics||3|
|ACCT 2035||Management Accounting||3|
|ACCT 2045||Intermediate Accounting 1||3|
|ACCT 2001||Accounting Software Applications||3|
|MGMT 1010||Business Sustainability and Ethics||3|
|MGMT 2017||Canadian Business Law||3|
|ACCT 2002||Canadian Income Tax 1||3|
|ACCT 2003||Business Data Analytics||3|
|ACCT 2055||Intermediate Accounting 2||3|
* This information is intended as a guideline only. Program and course details are subject to change with the approval of VCC's Board of Governors.
Fees and other costs*
Tuition Deposit: $10,000
Tuition deposits are payable usually within two weeks after a Letter of Offer is issued.
|Fee description||Fee Amount||Notes|
0 - 1
0 - 2
0 - 3
0 - 4
|Materials||0||not including textbooks|
|Medical & Dental||550|
|Program-specific extra fees||0|
* Fees are approximate and subject to change with the approval of VCC's Board of Governors. Students are required to pay any applicable fee increases. Application and assessment fees are non-refundable.
Fees listed are for international students. For domestic programs, visit vcc.ca.
Any refunds are issued according to VCC's international refund policy.