What you will learn
A successful graduate of this Diploma can:
- Design lesson & unit plans appropriate to the language proficiency level, learning needs and goals of the learner/s using the fundamentals of effective instructional planning.
- Deliver language lessons according to best practice methodology using appropriate classroom management strategies and resources.
- Manage classroom climate/environment using principles of student-centred practice.
- Analyse learner's English language proficiency using a language proficiency framework such as the Canadian Language Benchmarks.
- Prepare oral and written remedial feedback to learners about their language performance in a constructive and specific manner.
- Self-assess lesson/unit lesson planning and delivery for effectiveness in meeting teaching goals.
- Model correct usage of English grammatical structures and pronunciation.
- Exhibit a professional and responsible attitude with regard to administrative/teaching and collegial responsibilities.
What to expect
This program is offered in face-to-face mode, and has been designed to involve the student in a variety of learning environments and instructional delivery methods. Throughout the program, the student will participate in lectures, demonstrations, peer teaching, group teaching and activities, and individual practice teaching. There may be guest instructors, instructional videos and an opportunity to use computer and audio labs. There is a supervised practice teaching component.
- Bachelor degree or equivalent
- 1st Year University English with a minimum 'C+' or equivalent
- Applicants whose first language is other than English, who are presenting foreign documents, must achieve the following scores on one of the following English language proficiency tests:
- A minimum score of 88 on the internet based TOEFL with no score lower than 22
- A Band 6.5 or higher on the International English Language Testing System (IELTS — academic stream) with no band score less than 6.0 with a minimum score of 6.5 on the speaking and listening band
- A minimum score of 145/200 on the VCC English Language Assessment Test with minimum scores as follows: Listening: 27/30; Speaking: 27/30; Essay: 17/20; Reading: 50/70. The ELA score must be free of a pronunciation recommendation.
- This program is available to Canadian citizens and permanent residents. See program options for international students at VCC International.
- Applicants must be 16 years of age or older or a graduate of a secondary school. (Some exceptions may apply.)
- Applicants must submit official transcripts and educational documents as required by their course or program.
- Demonstrated proficiency in the English language with excellent oral and written communication skills
- Personal experience with learning a foreign language
- Motivated and disciplined
- Interest in, respect for and experience with other cultures
- Empathy and patience for those learning a new language and culture
|TESO 1101||TESOL Overview||3|
|TESO 1127||Teaching Pronunciation||3|
|TESO 1267||Teaching Listening/Speaking||3|
|TESO 1168||Teaching Grammar 1||3|
|TESO 1133||Teaching Reading||3|
|TESO 1232||Communication & Culture||3|
|TESO 1128||Teaching Writing||3|
|TESO 1169||Teaching Grammar 2||3|
|TESO 1266||Teaching Academic English||2.5|
|TESO 1270||TESOL Internship||5|
This guide is intended as a general guideline only. The college reserves the right to make changes as appropriate.
* This information is intended as a guideline only. Program and course details are subject to change with the approval of VCC's Board of Governors.
* Fees are approximate and subject to change with the approval of VCC's Board of Governors. Students are required to pay any applicable fee increases. Application and assessment fees are non-refundable. Tuition fees include a $300 non-refundable deposit.
Fees listed are for domestic students. For international programs, visit VCC International.
Any refunds are issued according to VCC's refund policy.
Undergoing program review process.
VCC Registrar's Office
1155 East Broadway
Vancouver, B.C., V5T 4V5