What you will learn
- History and principles of cooking
- Culinary language and terminology
- Health, safety, and employment standards
- Operation of commercial kitchen equipment
- Knife skills
- Basic stocks, sauces, and soups
- Salads, dressings, accompaniments
- Breakfast cooking
- Garde manger: sandwiches, salads, dressings
- Quickbreads, pies, tarts
- Yeast breads
- Fruit and custard desserts
- Butchery: processing of beef, poultry, and seafood
- Meat cooking methods
- Cook chill production
- Nutrition and food combinations
- Institutional menus
- Food handling and storage
- Math skills
- Time management
- Café/cafeteria service
- Catering planning and expedition
- Event coordination and marketing
- Risk management and entrepreneurship
- Career planning and job-search strategies
- Opportunity to take exams for ITA Level 1 certification
What to expect
- 32 weeks of full-time study
- Classes Monday to Thursday 7 a.m. - 2 p.m.
- A fully equipped commercial kitchen
- Work experience in VCC's public cafeteria
- Hands-on learning
- Classroom instruction
- Active participation
- Critical thinking
- Self/peer assessments
- Practical assessments
- Course assignments
- English 10 or equivalent
- Math 10 or equivalent
- Valid Food Safe Level 1 Certificate
- Department Head Approval
Applicants must be able to physically handle; all seafood including but not limited to fish & shellfish, beef, lamb, pork, all types of poultry, all types of game, all dairy products, and all associated by-products required to meet the program outcomes. Any other known food allergies must be disclosed.
Applicants with a VCC Baking & Pastry Certificate or Baking & Pastry Red Seal Certificate may be exempt from CULI 1504 Baking Techniques.
Applicants with a Meat Cutter's Red Seal Certificate may be exempt from CULI 1505 Butchery.
- This program is available to Canadian citizens and permanent residents. See program options for international students at VCC International.
- Applicants must be 16 years of age or older or a graduate of a secondary school. (Some exceptions may apply.)
- Applicants must submit official transcripts and educational documents as required by their course or program.
It is strongly recommended that applicants consider the daily tasks associated with working in a professional kitchen. These include the following Essential Skills Requirements:
- Physical condition and stamina to meet the demands of the culinary industry e.g. lift 50lbs.
- Ability to stand for long periods of time e.g. 5 hours or more
- Good motor skill coordination
- Ability to multi-task, with strong and efficient organizational and time management skills
- Strong reading, comprehension and study skills
- Ability to work independently
- Maturity, interpersonal & communication skills
- Some creativity is an asset
Program general hours
Monday to Thursday from 7 a.m. to 2 p.m. with the exception of the catering course in the last month. Students will be advised of their catering course days and hours once registered and attending the program.
Courses are delivered 4 days per week over 32 weeks.
This program must be completed within three years.
|CULI 1501||Kitchen Orientation||5|
|CULI 1502||Culinary Techniques||4|
|CULI 1503||Garde Manger & Breakfast||4|
|CULI 1504||Baking Techniques||4|
|CULI 1506||Cook Chill Production Kitchen||4|
|CULI 1507||Flavour Principles & Menus||1|
|CULI 1508||Short Order Cafe||4|
* This information is intended as a guideline only. Program and course details are subject to change with the approval of VCC's Board of Governors.
Fees and other costs*
|Fee description||Fee Amount||Notes|
0 - 1
0 - 2
0 - 3
0 - 4
|Materials||0||not including textbooks|
|Medical & Dental||280|
|Program specific extra fees||419|
* Fees are approximate and subject to change with the approval of VCC's Board of Governors. Students are required to pay any applicable fee increases. Application and assessment fees are non-refundable. Tuition fees include a $300 non-refundable deposit.
Fees listed are for domestic students. For international programs, visit VCC International.
Any refunds are issued according to VCC's refund policy.
VCC Registrar's Office
1155 East Broadway
Vancouver, B.C., V5T 4V5
† B.C. Labour Market Outlook 2018