What you will learn
Upon successful completion of this program, students will be able to:
- Practise safely, ethically and professionally as a Medical Laboratory Assistant (MLA).
- Integrate knowledge from the medical laboratory sciences to provide optimal medical laboratory services.
- Collect, handle and process specimens for analysis according to standard operating procedures in the medical laboratory.
- Use equipment applicable to the medical laboratory.
- Perform cardiac monitoring tests.
- Perform administrative functions to support the operation of the medical laboratory.
- Assist with quality assurance programs in the medical laboratory.
- Use effective interpersonal skills in the medical laboratory.
What to expect
The program is divided into two levels.
Level 1 is 20 weeks in length and is a combination of theory and practical skills. Instructional activities include lectures, assignments, audio-visual presentations, workshops, on-line activities, guest speakers and tours. Practical skills are developed and practised in a laboratory setting. Under the supervision of an instructor, students practise their blood collection and cardiac monitoring skills.
Upon successful completion of Level 1, students are assigned to a four-week practicum in a medical laboratory. The purpose of the practicum is to provide the students with an opportunity to apply their knowledge and skills in the workplace.
- Grade 12 graduation, or equivalent
- English 12 with a B, or equivalent and English language proficiency
- Biology 12 (with a C- or better) or VCC Biology 0983 & 0993 or equivalent
- Certified five minute keyboarding test with a typing speed of 40 gross words per minute or higher with a maximum of 5 errors.
- A Criminal Record Check (CRC) is required in accordance with the Criminal Records Review Act. All individuals who work with vulnerable adults and/or children must complete a Criminal Records Check through the Ministry of Justice. Applicants to this program should be aware that some practicum placement in hospitals and schools may require completion of a Criminal Records Check indicating no relevant criminal record. After submitting an admissions application, applicants will receive by email with a web link and unique college access code to apply and pay for a Criminal Record Check online
- Proof of a negative TB skin test or chest xray
- Immunization Record
- This program is available to Canadian citizens and permanent residents. See program options for international students at VCC International.
- Applicants must be 16 years of age or older or a graduate of a secondary school. (Some exceptions may apply.)
- Applicants must submit official transcripts and educational documents as required by their course or program.
- Ability to perform fine motor skills
- Able to work well in stressful situations
- Excellent communication skills (written and oral)
- Ability to work well as a team member
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Good health
Program general hours
Monday to Friday from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. with the exception of practicum experiences. Students will be advised of their practicum hours once registered and attending the program.
|MLAB 1111||Professional Practice||3|
|MLAB 1112||Laboratory Fundamentals||2|
|MLAB 1113||Specimen Collection & Process||6|
|MLAB 1114||Medical Laboratory Procedures||3|
|MLAB 1116||Human Relations Skills||1|
|MLAB 1117||Med Lab Computer Applications||1|
|MLAB 1218||Laboratory Practicum||4|
This guide is intended as a general guideline only. The college reserves the right to make changes as appropriate.
* This information is intended as a guideline only. Program and course details are subject to change with the approval of VCC's Board of Governors.
Fees and other costs*
|Fee description||Fee Amount||Notes|
0 - 1
0 - 2
0 - 3
0 - 4
|Materials||357||not including textbooks|
|Medical & Dental||280|
|Program specific extra fees||0|
* Fees are approximate and subject to change with the approval of VCC's Board of Governors. Students are required to pay any applicable fee increases. Application and assessment fees are non-refundable. Tuition fees include a $300 non-refundable deposit.
Fees listed are for domestic students. For international programs, visit VCC International.
Any refunds are issued according to VCC's refund policy.
VCC Registrar's Office
1155 East Broadway
Vancouver, B.C., V5T 4V5