What you will learn
Graduates of this program will be able to:
- Perform all duties of a hairstylist in accordance with industry health and safety standards related to hygiene, sanitation and disinfection practices.
- Use and maintain tools and equipment according to industry standards.
- Demonstrate professional behavior and communication skills with clients and co-workers.
- Identify the structure and functions of the skin and the hair and recognize possible disease and disorders
- Perform shampooing, conditioning and scalp massaging services using the correct manipulations and professional haircare products.
- Demonstrate elevated and non-elevated haircuts using a variety of tools and techniques.
- Perform wet and dry hair styling using a variety of styling techniques, products and tools.
- Apply the fundamentals of preparing and applying professional colour and lightening products using specific applications and techniques.
- Demonstrate permanent wave procedures using a variety of tools and techniques.
- Describe the types and purposes of hair extensions, wigs and hairpieces.
- Apply fundamental business management knowledge and skills needed to operate a hair salon.
What to expect
The Hairstylist Certificate program is designed to meet the training needs of the Industry and the required training objectives established by the Industry Training Authority (ITA). The Hairstylist program provides a wide range of student learning opportunities in the classroom, salon and workplace settings. Students will gain hands-on practical experience working with clients in the VCC Salon and Spa. Industry work experience provides students with additional opportunities to apply their knowledge and technical skills in a workplace setting. Classroom instruction is designed for students to develop theoretical knowledge and practical skills which will be applied for success in the VCC Salon and Spa.
Active student learning and participation is emphasized throughout the program to promote the development of knowledge, technical skills and professional behaviour required for success in the industry. Lectures, demonstrations, group work, peer assessment, reflective journaling, and project based learning strategies are used throughout the program to promote student leaning.
Grade 10 English or equivalent.
Applicants who do not meet the program admission requirements may be admitted based on an interview with the Department leader or representative.
- This program is available to Canadian citizens and permanent residents. See program options for international students at VCC International.
- Applicants must be 16 years of age or older or a graduate of a secondary school. (Some exceptions may apply.)
- Applicants must submit official transcripts and educational documents as required by their course or program.
- Sincere interest in administering personal services;
- Interpersonal and communication skills required for providing customer service;
- Good hand-eye coordination;
- Manual dexterity and creative ability;
- Normal colour vision;
- Good depth perception and ability to perceive line and form;
- Ability to stand for long periods of time;
- Ability to plan and work independently;
- Self-motivated and a sense of responsibility;
- Basic writing and numerical skills;
- Interest in art, fashion, creativity or design
Candidates considering this program are likely to be most successful as graduates if they are in good health and are aware that health concerns such as asthma, respiratory problems, skin conditions and eczema may be present in this career.
Program general hours
This program runs from 8:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. or 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. three days per week and may include Saturday classes from 8:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Once you have been registered you can view your schedule at myVCC.
|HAIR 1100||Hairstylist Foundation 1||17|
|HAIR 1200||Hairstylist Foundation 2||18|
|HAIR 1300||Hairstylist Foundation 3||6|
* This information is intended as a guideline only. Program and course details are subject to change with the approval of VCC's Board of Governors.
Fees and other costs*
|Fee description||Fee Amount||Notes|
3002 - 1
3178 - 2
1060 - 3
0 - 4
|Materials||0||not including textbooks|
|Medical & Dental||280|
|Program specific extra fees||450|
* Fees are approximate and subject to change with the approval of VCC's Board of Governors. Students are required to pay any applicable fee increases. Application and assessment fees are non-refundable. Tuition fees include a $300 non-refundable deposit.
Fees listed are for domestic students. For international programs, visit VCC International.
Any refunds are issued according to VCC's refund policy.
VCC Registrar's Office
1155 East Broadway
Vancouver, B.C., V5T 4V5
† B.C. Labour Market Outlook 2018