What you will learn
Upon successful completion of the program, students will be able to:
- Perform appropriate skin type profiling and apply compatible products for all skin types and needs.
- Use selective makeup tools to apply various makeup styles based on client needs.
- Identify and replicate the characteristics of makeup styles of various historical periods.
- Implement the corrective techniques for various face shapes to improve balance and proportion.
- Use the colour wheel to select a colour palette that complements the subject.
- Conduct makeup consultations and draw face charts detailing makeup selection, colours, and product placement for a variety looks.
- Apply eye makeup styles appropriate to each client's eye shape.
- Create makeup design for seasonal trends and specialty areas such as bridal and events, fashion shows, editorial shoots, and character makeup.
- Produce and maintain a resume and photo portfolio of makeup artistry skills for the cosmetic and makeup artist industries.
- Identify and implement appropriate and successful sales strategies for cosmetic services and products.
- Understand the various roles and responsibilities of a makeup artist.
What to expect
The Makeup Artistry Certificate curriculum is designed to provide students with practical and experiential learning through theory and hands-on application.
Courses are delivered through a combination of instructional activities including but not limited to, lectures, group activities, demonstrations, practice applications and photo-shoots.
Grade 10 English or equivalent
Applicants should be 18 years of age or older and be a graduate of secondary school or equivalent.
Applicants who do not meet the program admission requirements may be admitted following a successful interview with the Department leader or representative.
- This program is available to Canadian citizens and permanent residents. Program options for international students can be found at VCC International.
- Applicants must be 16 years of age or older or a graduate of a secondary school. (Some exceptions may apply.)
- Applicants must submit official transcripts and educational documents as required by their course or program.
- Sincere interest in administering personal services
- Interpersonal and communication skills required for providing customer service
- Good hand-eye coordination
- Manual dexterity and creative ability
- Normal colour vision and an eye for colour
- Good depth perception and ability to perceive line and form
- Ability to stand for long periods of time
- Self-motivated and responsible
- Basic writing skills
- Interest in makeup, art, fashion, creativity or design
Program length is one to two years and must be completed within three years.
|MKUP 1101||Makeup Artistry Fundamentals 1,2||2|
|MKUP 1102||Bridal and Event Makeup 2||2|
|MKUP 1103||Fashion and Photography Makeup 2||2|
|MKUP 1104||Career and Freelance Development||1|
|Two of the following electives:||4|
|Airbrush Makeup 1,2|
|Character Makeup 1,2|
|Introduction Film and Television Makeup 1,2|
|Hairstyling for Makeup Artists 1,2|
Requirement: Makeup kit must be purchased for the first day of class.
Additional supplies may be required for class. Approximate cost is between $50-$100.
The scheduling of classes and number of hours of instruction delivered will be affected by the occurrence of statutory holidays and other events as deemed necessary by the College.
This guide is intended as a general guideline only. The College reserves the right to make changes as appropriate.
* This information is intended as a guideline only. Program and course details are subject to change with the approval of VCC's Board of Governors.
Fees and other costs*
|Fee description||Fee Amount||Notes|
0 - 1
0 - 2
0 - 3
0 - 4
|Materials||315||not including textbooks|
|Medical & Dental||0|
|Program specific extra fees||0|
* Fees are approximate and subject to change with the approval of VCC's Board of Governors. Students are required to pay any applicable fee increases. Application and assessment fees are non-refundable.
Fees listed are for domestic students. For international programs, visit VCC International.
Any refunds are issued according to VCC's refund policy.
Prospective students will need to register at least 2 weeks prior to the course start date, to ensure that their kit is received for the first day of class.