What you will learn
- Advanced skills in Microsoft Office including Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint, and Outlook
- Effective business communication including letters and emails
- Creating and formatting business documents
- Accounting software and financial record keeping
- Databases and data management
- Office procedures and professionalism
What to expect
- 25 hours of class per week
- Two terms over an eight-month period
- Individual and group work
- Lectures, videos, and demonstrations
- Continuous practical assignments
- Theory and/or practical examinations
- Two-week workplace practicum arranged by program instructors
The following admission requirements will be used to determine eligibility for entrance into the Administrative Assistant Program.
Grade 12 graduation or equivalent
Grade 12 English or English Language Proficiency or equivalent
A tested keyboarding speed of a minimum of 25 gross words per minute on a 5-minute test with a maximum of 5 errors using the touch-typing method (using the appropriate fingers for each key on the keyboard and not looking at your fingers as you type)
- This program is available to Canadian citizens and permanent residents. See program options for international students at VCC International.
- Applicants must be 16 years of age or older or a graduate of a secondary school. (Some exceptions may apply.)
- Applicants must submit official transcripts and educational documents as required by their course or program.
- Personal hygiene, grooming and appearance acceptable to a business office
- Good finger and hand dexterity for operating office equipment and machines
- Good command of oral and written English
- Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions
|OADM 1122||Intro to Computers & Word||2.5|
|OADM 1101||Speed & Accuracy 1||2.5|
|OADM 1132||Intermediate Word & PowerPoint||2|
|OADM 1120||Business Communications 1||2|
|OADM 1142||Document Formatting||2|
|OADM 1121||Human Relations||2|
|OADM 1125||Spreadsheets (Excel)||2|
|OADM 1130||Business Communications 2||2|
|OADM 1200||Speed & Accuracy 2||2.5|
|OADM 1252||Database & Office Integration||2.5|
|OADM 1223||Basic Bookkeeping||2|
|OADM 1240||Electronic Transcription||2|
|OADM 1233||Computerized Accounting||2|
|OADM 1226||Office Procedures||2|
|OADM 1228||Office Simulation||2|
|OADM 1238||Work Experience *||2|
Two weeks on-the-job training in business and/or industry. Placement is based on successful completion of all courses in Terms 1 and 2. No certificate will be granted in the event of a failed practicum. Instructors, in consultation with practicum hosts, will supervise the practicum.
This guide is intended as a general guideline only. The college reserves the right to make changes as appropriate.
* This information is intended as a guideline only. Program and course details are subject to change with the approval of VCC's Board of Governors.
Fees and other costs*
|Fee description||Fee Amount||Notes|
2280 - Term 1
2280 - Term 2
0 - Term 3
0 - Term 4
|Materials||0||not including textbooks|
|Medical & Dental||280|
|Program specific extra fees||0|
* Fees are approximate and subject to change with the approval of VCC's Board of Governors. Students are required to pay any applicable fee increases. Application and assessment fees are non-refundable. Tuition fees include a $300 non-refundable deposit.
Fees listed are for domestic students. For international programs, visit VCC International.
Any refunds are issued according to VCC's refund policy.
VCC Registrar's Office
1155 East Broadway
Vancouver, B.C., V5T 4V5
† BC Student Outcomes, Diploma, Associate Degree, and Certificate Student Outcomes Survey