What you will learn
- Medical terminology
- Efficient transcription of medical reports including diagnostic imaging reports, discharge summaries, oncology reports, pathology reports, and surgery reports
- Effective use of hard and electronic resources
- Proofreading and editing skills
- Oral and written English communication
- Spelling, grammar, and punctuation
- Transcription equipment and software
- Computer and keyboarding skills
- Confidence, initiative, and critical thinking
- Integrity and confidentiality
What to expect
- Two terms of integrated training
- Lectures, labs, seminars, and demonstrations
- Group work and student presentations
- Case simulations, exercises, role practice
- Written exams
- Quizzes, assignments, exams
- Three-week practicum experience
- Grade 12 graduation or equivalent
- English 12 with a B grade or equivalent, or English Language Proficiency, or equivalent
- Successful completion of a 5-minute keyboarding test with a typing speed of 25 gross words per minute with five errors or less using the touch-typing method (using the appropriate fingers for each key on the keyboard and not looking at your fingers as you type)
- Seats are offered to applicants who have met all admission requirements, on a first-qualified, first-served basis.
- International applicants must be 17 years of age or older or a graduate of a secondary school. (Some exceptions may apply.)
- Applicants must submit official transcripts and educational documents as required by their course or program.
- All VCC applicants are required to function successfully in an English-speaking classroom. English requirements vary by program. For details, visit VCC International - English Requirements.
Ability to deal with colleagues and staff in a tactful and courteous manner
Personal hygiene, grooming and appearance acceptable to a medical environment
High standard of honesty, integrity, and professionalism
Ability to maintain confidentiality
Good hearing and vision in order to be able to interpret medical dictation
Ability to remain seated for the majority of a working day
Attention to detail, accuracy, patience, and ability to work well under pressure
Excellent command of English grammar and punctuation
Ability to work effectively in a team environment
Basic computer literacy
Program general hours
Classes are generally held on Monday to Thursday from 8:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m., except during the practicum when students work Monday through Friday for the hours assigned by the practicum host.
|MEDC 1120||Medical Terminology for MT 1||2.5|
|MEDC 1121||Medical Speed & Accuracy 1||2|
|MEDC 1130||Medical Terminology for MT 2||2.5|
|MEDC 1131||Med Speed & Accuracy for MT 2||2|
|MEDC 1132||Human Relation Skills||1|
|MEDC 1133||Electronic File Management||2|
|MEDC 1134||Medical Transcription for MT||3|
|MEDC 1212||History & Physical Reports||2|
|MEDC 1213||Diagnostic Imaging Reports||2|
|MEDC 1215||Discharge Summaries||2|
|MEDC 1216||Oncology Reports||1|
|MEDC 1219||Pathology Reports||2|
|MEDC 1241||Medical Speed & Accuracy 3||2|
|MEDC 1242||General Surgery Reports||2|
|MEDC 1246||Specialized Operative Reports||2|
* This information is intended as a guideline only. Program and course details are subject to change with the approval of VCC's Board of Governors.
Fees and other costs*
Tuition Deposit: $8,500
Tuition deposits are payable usually within two weeks after a Letter of Offer is issued.
|Fee description||Fee Amount||Notes|
0 - 1
0 - 2
0 - 3
0 - 4
|Materials||0||not including textbooks|
|Medical & Dental||275|
|Program-specific extra fees||0|
* Fees are approximate and subject to change with the approval of VCC's Board of Governors. Students are required to pay any applicable fee increases. Application and assessment fees are non-refundable.
Fees listed are for international students. For domestic programs, visit vcc.ca.
Any refunds are issued according to VCC's international refund policy.