New on-campus safety measures in effect November 19thPosted on November 23, 2020
A message from the VCC Emergency Operations Centre (EOC)
BC’s Provincial Health Officer (PHO) has ordered new province-wide restrictions to reduce the transmission of COVID-19. Some of these restrictions previously applied to the Fraser Health and Vancouver Coastal Regions only. As of November 19, 2020, they apply to the entire province.
Due to increased provincial health restrictions and tracking measures, all employees (admin, staff, faculty) are now required to complete a daily self-assessment (https://bc.thrive.health) each day you are physically on any VCC campus.
- This is in addition to the weekly Pre-Screen Questionnaire.
- The daily assessment is a self-check, and does not need to be submitted to VCC.
- However, a negative assessment needs to be communicated to your supervisor.
- Students will continue with the assessment process via Moodle and their instructors.
Masks are required in all indoor public settings and workplaces
- This applies to common areas where people circulate freely, such as hallways, stairwells, elevators, etc.
- Enclosed office spaces are exempt where physical distancing can be maintained.
- The mask requirement does not apply to people unable to wear a mask or put on or remove a mask on their own.
This summary of restrictions relates to activities that may impact students and staff in their personal lives off campus.
Refer to the new province-wide restrictions for more details.
No social gatherings of any size with anyone other than your household or core bubble. This applies to both indoor and outdoor spaces.
- A person who lives alone may have up to two other people visit if they are people with whom the person regularly interacts.
- All events and gatherings as defined in the PHO Gatherings and Events Order are suspended until further notice.
- NOTE: this does not apply to educational activities offered by post-secondary institutions to deliver and/or support student learning and development, as safety precautions are already in place.
- Please see page 15 of the COVID-19 Go-Forward Guidelines for BC’s Post-Secondary Sector [PDF] for more information on educational activities.
- Events such as convocation ceremonies are not considered educational activities, and will take place virtually when possible.
- Please review the Athletic Activities section of the new province-wide restrictions.
- The following high-risk indoor group physical activities must be suspended:
- Spin classes
- Hot yoga
- High intensity interval training
- Gyms and recreation facilities that offer individual workouts and personal training sessions can remain open as long as they have a COVID-19 Safety Plan that is strictly followed.
- Games, competitions, and practices can continue with no spectators and no travel.
- All non-essential travel should be avoided. This includes travel into and out of B.C. and between regions of the province.
- Essential travel within B.C. includes:
- Regular travel for work within your region
- Travel for medical appointments and hospital visits