Family Literacy Certificate
Vancouver Community College, in partnership with Decoda Literacy Solutions, the Centre for Family Literacy, and Conestoga College is excited to continue our very successful online Family Literacy Certificate Program.
The first of its kind in Canada, this Certificate offers the knowledge and skill base for those who are currently looking or wish to work in the family literacy field. Courses are designed to provide expertise to individuals who will be well prepared to design, develop, implement and administer community-based and school-based family literacy programs.
Past participants have said:
"The content and facilitation of this course was superb!"
"The curriculum was excellent, practical and immediately useful in my work."
"Our instructor was amazing - so knowledgeable, supportive and inspiring."
The program is designed to integrate theory, best practices and experiential learning, and evaluation is based on engagement, participation and assignments. Designed for those who currently work or wish to work in family literacy, the program will also be of interest to those in related fields who want to learn more about family literacy. We welcome all interested participants who have the ability to speak, read and write English at a Grade 12 level or equivalency or instructor approval.
There are six courses in the Certificate. In each course you will complete the learning activities and apply your learning outside of the course by completing a practicum in your community. To apply, submit a completed VCC Application Form and $30 Application Fee by August 31.
You will be contacted by email or mail to confirm registration details.
Read information on the following topics:
A College Certificate will be awarded to those who successfully complete:
- Fundamentals of Family Literacy (offered in fall term)
- Literacy with Adults and Children (offered in fall term)
- Child Development and Emergent Literacy (offered in winter term)
- Family Literacy in the Community (offered in winter term)
- Family Literacy Across Contexts (offered in spring term)
- Leadership in Family Literacy (offered in spring term)
Please note: Fundamentals of Family Literacy is a prerequisite for all other courses.
- Family Lit Across Contexts (FAML 1113)
- Leadership in Family Literacy (FAML 1114)
- Child Dev & Emergent Literacy (FAML 1111) (course offered in upcoming terms)
- Family Lit in the Community (FAML 1112) (course offered in upcoming terms)
- Fundamentals of Family Lit (FAML 1109) (course offered in upcoming terms)
- Literacy - Adults & Families (FAML 1110) (course offered in upcoming terms)
VCC welcomes applications from Canadian citizens, permanent residents and international students.International students
VCC welcomes international students from around the world to the college's academic or career programs.
To learn more about the English-language requirements for your program of interest, please contact VCC International; to learn more about how to apply, please see the VCC International website.
All international students pay international tuition fees. For more information, please contact VCC's international education office at email@example.com or 604.443.8600.
We look forward to meeting you.
As Vancouver Community College is a post-secondary institution committed to educating adult learners, applicants should be 18 years of age or older or a graduate of a secondary school.
Grade 12 English or equivalent
Apply to this Program
Program Coordinator: Lesley Richardson, 604.871.7000, ext. 8660, firstname.lastname@example.org
Program Assistant: Jennifer Adachi, 604.871.7000, ext. 8635, email@example.com
|Class Full/In Progress|
|Family Lit Across Contexts||FAML 1113||required|
|Leadership in Family Literacy||FAML 1114||required|
* All course/program information including course/program content, length, admission requirements, prerequisites, start/end dates, postponements and/or cancellation is subject to change without notice.
* Published fees for Continuing Studies programs and courses include HST (if applicable) as well as a College Initiative Fee, which varies depending on the individual course. Student Union Fees will be assessed at time of registration. Please note: fees displayed on the web do not include Student Union Fees.
* All international students pay international tuition fees. For more information, please contact VCC's international education office at firstname.lastname@example.org or 604.443.8600.