Medical Laboratory Assistant
This health program is designed to prepare students for employment as medical laboratory assistants. The program consists of a combination of theory and practical experience. Students learn how to obtain, handle and distribute various biological specimens, including blood. Students also learn how to perform electrocardiograms (ECG). While on their practicum students apply their knowledge and skills in private laboratory and hospital laboratory settings. On campus, students practice their skills on each other. This includes venipunctures and ECGs.
Find out more about this program:
- Program Description
- Career Prospects
- Admission Requirements
- Program Status
- Apply to this Program
- Fees and Other Costs
- Additional Information
- Check Course Schedule
This program is offered in one six-month term. As part of the program students are assigned a practicum.
Classes are generally held from 9:00 am - 4:00 pm, Monday - Friday. (Class times are subject to change).
Graduates of the program find employment as medical laboratory assistants in private and hospital laboratories
Information about graduate outcomes.
VCC welcomes applications from Canadian citizens and permanent residents.
As Vancouver Community College is a post-secondary institution committed to educating adult learners, applicants should be 18 years of age or older or a graduate of a secondary school.
Please note that you must submit official transcripts and educational documents to support your application; unfortunately, we cannot accept photocopies or fax versions.
- Grade 12 graduation or equivalent
- Proof of English Language Proficiency which includes a Canadian Language Benchmark of Listening 8, Speaking 8, Reading 8, and Writing 7
- VCC MEDC 1010 Medical Terminology (Basic) with a C+ or better, OR completion of a Human Biology course with a C or better (e.g. Biology 12) OR previous related education/training in a health care field (e.g. RN, Practical Nurse, Medical Laboratory Technologist, Biochemistry). For more information click here.
- Certified five minute keyboarding test with a typing speed of 40 gross words per minute or higher with a maximum of 5 errors.
- Criminal Record Search
In accordance to the Criminal Records Review Act, all individuals who work with vulnerable adults and/or children must complete a Criminal Records Check through the Ministry of Justice. Access this to complete the review request. The Criminal Record Form, with payment (no personal cheques), need to be sent directly to the Solicitor General’s Office.
The Criminal Record Check Form will ask for the Organization Name: Vancouver Community College and the Organization Contact Name - Niki Scarfo, Registrar's Office, ID Number 937836 for Dental, BScN, Tutoring ESOL programs and Kathy Andreatta, Registrar's Office, ID Number 113043 for all other VCC programs.
Ensure you use your legal name and that you have applied at VCC under the same name.
All requests for transfer credits or course exemptions for all courses in the program must be submitted with application. Click here for Request for Transfer Credit (PDF) form.
- Upon acceptance, proof of a negative TB skin test or chest xray. For further information about Health requirements click here
Seats are offered to applicants who have met all admission requirements, on a first-qualified, first-served basis.
- Ability to perform fine motor skills
- A caring, confident, and thoughtful approach to people
- Excellent English written, oral and listening skills
- Free of any tendency to develop dermatitis. Students should not have latex allergies.
- Freedom from back problems
-Waitlist is approximately 2 years
VCC is accepting applications from international students.
Apply to this Program
Applicants are advised to apply as soon as possible. Students who have officially applied and met all admission requirements are sent a letter of acceptance approximately four to five months before the next available program
Notification Alert: System Maintenance
Due to scheduled maintenance, web student self-service, including online application and registration, will be unavailable starting on Monday, May 20 at 8:00 PM. Thank you for your patience.
If you would like an email notification after the system maintenance is complete, please fill out our contact form.
Please apply when the system maintenance is complete.
Fees and Other Costs
|Course Name||Outline||Course Code||Credits|
|Clinical Practice||--||MLAB 1210||4.0|
|Human Relations Skills||--||NUCL 1124||1.0|
|Laboratory Fundamentals||--||MLAB 1102||2.5|
|Medical Laboratory Office & Computer/Data Entry Skills||--||MLAB 1106||1.5|
|Medical Laboratory Procedures||--||MLAB 1104||4.0|
|Specimen Collection and Handling||--||MLAB 1103||5.0|
|Work Role: Introduction to Medical Laboratory Assistant Practice||--||MLAB 1101||2.0|