Collection of Personal Information
Personal Information is Important for your Education
While attending VCC, staff, instructors and administration will work very hard to meet your educational needs, and will need to have current personal information from you.
Under What Authorization We Collect
We collect personal information from you as authorized by the College and Institute Act. The personal information we collect is necessary to:
- Obtain a personal education number (PEN) for the student.
- Carry out institutional responsibilities related to operating program or activity.
- Prepare and submit budgets, financial statements, reports and other information that the minister considers necessary to carry out the minister's responsibilities in relation to institutions.
- Conduct institutional research and statistical analysis.
The Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act has directed that we provide you with this background. You may be assured that we will take all reasonable measures to ensure that your information is treated in a confidential manner.
Why We Collect
We collect personal information:
- For the purpose of sending you official correspondence related to your education at VCC, communicating with you in an instructional capacity, and gathering essential information for operating purposes.
- For the purpose of providing students with the opportunity to participate in former student outcome surveys. The results of these surveys are used to improve the quality and effectiveness of instruction and services that we provide.
- The Ministry uses this information in order to monitor institutional progress and comply with government stated objectives.
- To conduct institutional research on education policy issues, such as quality of education, student satisfaction, ease of transfers, student access, future student needs, evaluate training needs for a variety of population groups such as insert students, transfer students, first nations students, international student etc.
If you have any questions about this information, please contact the office of Institutional Research and Planning, Vancouver Community College, Downtown Campus 604.443.8712; Broadway Campus 604.871.7055.
What is a cookie?
A cookie is a small piece of information, stored on your computer during a visit to Vancouver Community College's websites. This information allows you to move quickly and easily around our sites.
You can choose to not accept cookies or delete your cookies at any time. Bear in mind, though, that if you delete these cookies, any settings such as your stored account information will have to be reset when you log in again.
Unlike many sites, you will be able to use Vancouver Community College's Website even if you set your browser not to accept any cookies. However, certain features and content may not be available to you and you may have to log in every time you visit.
How do I set my browser to enable cookies from Vancouver Community College?
You can set your browser to accept cookies from specific Websites. Your browser help function will show you how to do this.
You may be asked to register for the site by providing account information such as your student ID, email or password. The account information will allow you to log in to secure areas of the site such as the Online Registration and to speed up registration elsewhere on the site.
We will ensure that your information is handled confidentially and only used to enhance your visit to our site and your relationship with Vancouver Community College. If you would prefer to talk directly to us, please refer to our contact information.
How do I register?
When you register for some areas of the site, you will be asked to supply a password. When you return to the site, you will be prompted to log in by entering your email address and password.
What happens if I forget my password?
If you forget your password, you will be able to request that it be emailed to you.
Vancouver Community College maintains a strict "No-Spam" philosophy that means that we will not sell, rent, or otherwise give your email address to a third-party.
VCC.ca and its related web sites are part of Vancouver Community College. Steps have been taken to ensure that high standards of data protection are adhered to in all our campuses for all the forms of processing mentioned above.